Alpha Hydroxy Acid- a Great Skin Care Taker
Every time you switch on your television, would you see a cosmetic product advertisement? There are hundreds or thousands of beauty products available in the market that one is bound to get confused. However, we will tell you how you could make a better choice from the whole lot.
The Alpha Hydroxy acids are a group of compounds namely glycolic acid, malic acid, tartaric acid, lactic acid. They are all found in food products. With the increasing popularity of these acids, their demand in the U.S. market has gradually increased. The dermatologists were the first to use them for their clinical chemical peels and then after FDA approval, it made way to be used for over-the-counter use in 1992. And today the conditions is that hundreds of beauty products contain AHA as their main ingredient.
How do AHA works?
They are exceptional exfoliators and thus help skin to get rid of dirt easily. In addition, they increase smooth blood flow to skin, thereby ensuring that it will remain glowing without any wrinkles and worrisome fine lines. They even help in reducing the appearance of dark spots, acne marks and blackheads.
The right concentration of AHA in beauty and skin care products
For over-the-counter-use, the concentration of glycolic acid is no more than 5 % and is generally safe for all skin types. However, those who suffer from seborrheic dermatitis or have skin disorders could complain of minor side effects like skin rash.
Cosmeuticals, which are a cross between cosmetic and pharmacyproducts, contain 8 to 14% of AHA in them. Though they are designed to be used daily, they will show effects only in months.
The glycolic acid peels will give you much faster results as the glycolic concentration is between 20 to 30 percent. However, this is a doctor prescribed treatment and the results are temporary. You will have to repeat the procedure and it is expensive too.
For long lasting and effective results, dermatologists use 50 to 75 percent concentration strength in the acid peels. However, the side effects are severe and it should be conducted under strict supervision of an expert dermatologist.
Let us now focus our attention to the pros and cons offered by the AHA containing beauty and skin care products.
- Skin looks younger and fresher with continuous and proper application
- Fine line reduces with mild acid peels done by the dermatologists
- Age spot lightens and blackheads appearance is reduced
- Low concentration products will take longer time to show up change in the skin
- Peels procedures are quite expensive and need to be conducted by an expert skin expert only.
- Deep peels will leave some scars on the skin, which will take a longer time to heal. The skin might continue to look a bit suntanned for a couple of days.
- After the treatment, the new skin, which appears, is more sensitive and so you need to take good care of it.
Therefore, now with a better understanding of the skin care products you can make an informed decision and help your skin look younger and fairer for a long time.