Aspects to be known about Eye Infections!
There are several bacteria, fungi, viruses, and parasites that can invade and harm the human body. Similarly, these elements can also attack the exterior or the interior surface of the eyes. Infections in a human eye can be normally categorized in two ways. Initially, the doctor talks normally about the inflamed or infected part of your eye. And secondly, they are classified by the caused that can trigger infections in eye.
What are the causes of eye infection?
The most common cause of eye infection seen all over the world is Infectious conjunctivitis or pink eyes. Other causes include Bacterial keratitis, gonorrhea and chlamydia, shingles, Ocular histoplasmosis syndrome (OHS) and Herpes simplex. It is obvious to know that with so many causing factors, the symptoms of infections might also differ a lot. However, the signs or conjunctivitis and other eye infections vary a bit.
Common symptoms of conjunctivitis:-
- Irritating eyes, severe itching and redness
- A kind of crust can be possibly seen over the eyelid
- Mucous or watery discharge, mostly seen in viral conjunctivitis
- Thick yellow, green or white discharge can be noticed in bacterial conjunctivitis.
- Irritation like something is pricking in eyes
Common warning indications of keratitis and other anterior eye infections:-
- Continuous pain, sensation of sand pricks or itching in eyes.
- Aversion to bright light which is also known as photosensitivity
- Small red lines can be visible in the white part of an eye
- Swollen eyelids
- Redness and tears
- Crusty yellow discharge or pus like stuff can be seen after waking up, it usually takes place when the infection is due to bacteria.
- Blepharospasm/ Continuous involuntary blinking
Viral eye infections usually show the sign of improvement within a couple of days that too without treatment. However, you must consult a doctor if you have:
- Recurring eye problems, pain in eyes, severe redness in the eye, distorted vision, or constant discharge from the eye
- Also, if you are infected with eye problems along with a chronic diabetic condition
- Changes in the size of pupil
- Latest eye injuries