Avoidance of Oral Thrush
Oral Thrush is a kind of infection due to yeast in mucus membrane that triggers the lining of tongue and mouth. Thrush is actually caused by a type of fungus named as Candida. Mostly, some amount of this Candida fungus resides in our mouth. Usually your immune system and further germs present in the mouth keep the Candida fungus in check. But, when your immune system becomes weak, the amount of fungus can grow.
Below given are some of the factors that can increase your risk of getting thrush:
- Going through a poor condition of health
- Being too young or too old
- Having infected with HIV or Aids.
- Consuming steroid medications
- Intake of medicines to hold back your immune system
- Receiving chemotherapy for cancer
Oral Thrush is more commonly noticed among infants. However, it is not unusual in babies unless it takes couple of weeks to recover.
What are the signs and Symptoms of oral thrush?
Thrush looks like a velvety and whitish sores that usually appears in tongue and mouth. Beneath the whitish stuff, there are some red tissues which gradually bleed. Slowly, this sores increases in size and number.
Signs and tests
Your dentist or doctor can diagnose thrush by looking the condition of your tongue and mouth. These sores have a different appearance which makes it easier for doctor to diagnose. However, it the signs are not clear, you may perform the test called as Microscopic examination of mouth scrapings or mouth lesions Culture to determine the oral thrush.
How to prevent the oral thrush?
- For oral thrush in little ones, the medical treatment is not needed as the thrush heels off by in own within two weeks.
- If you are going through the mild case, then it’s better to take medical help and eat yogurt after having the antibiotics.
- Most importantly, follow a good oral hygiene practices and have a dental checkup regularly.
- Limit the intake of yeast containing or sugar food to prevent the spread of oral thrush.
- If you smoke, then it high time to quit it.