Basics of Healthy Diet and Good Nutrition
Fad diet, weight loss diets, foods which should be a part of your daily routine, these are some of the many diet advice which you come across. Amidst all this, do you still remember what actually is a good diet and what should it comprise of? U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)’s My Plate can be a big help in this regard. It has all the necessary and good nutrition guidelines.
Food Groups and Healthy Nutrition
As already said, it is the USDA, which brings guidelines for healthy nutrition. Based on the ongoing researches, recently there have been some adjustments.
The focus is now on filling half your plate with fruits and vegetables at each meal. For women, the daily fruits and vegetables serving is seven times, while for men it is at least nine times.
- Focus on vegetable and fruits. Fill half of your plate with them at each meal.
- Consume low-fat dairy products. Have at least three glasses of fat free milk daily. If not milk, go for cheese, yoghurt, calcium rich foods.
- Have at least six to eight servings of whole grain a day. Fill quarter of your plate with them.
- Stay away from Trans and saturated fats, cholesterol, high salt and sugary foods. Fat should make for only 20 to 35% percent of the total calories intake.
USDA guidelines to Get You Young
USDA also releases guidelines for a healthy eating plan. Following these, you and your body will be on a healthy track and lead a disease free life.
The guidelines are:
- Pay attention to the portion intake. If you are trying to lose weight the portion size would be small than when you are trying to gain weight.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Try to include variety of vitamins in your diet. Keep making healthy changes in your diet. This way you will never feel bored of eating same thing repeatedly.
- Follow the daily-recommended calorie intake depending on your age, weight, health, height and gender.
- Do not stay away from the food you love. Have them but in moderation.
The basic nutrition guide is for everyone irrespective of one’s age or gender. This diet and nutrition plan is not for those ailing from some health issues but a guide to keep you away from diseases and infection.
All these guidelines are for your benefit. Follow them and enjoy a long healthy and disease free living.