Keep your bundles of joy healthy in the womb by saying no to smoking
We all have heard time and again that smoking is injurious to health. Even the cigarette pack carries this statutory warning but none of the smokers pay heed. Okay you are not concerned about your well being fine but what is the mistake of the child who is growing up in your womb. Studies have shown that pregnant mothers if smoke expose their to be born child to various serious health hazards like cancer, SIDS, attention deficit disorder the lit is just endless.
There is one study which was published in European Health Journal which said that babies born to mothers who continued smoking during their pregnancy have shown low levels of HDL cholesterol. We all know that this directly implies the child is exposed to heart attack later in his life. But this just not the only serious risk associated with smoking by pregnant mothers. To add to your knowledge we all know that cigarette contain nicotine and carbon monoxide. These two have been proved to adversely affect the foetus development.
Carbon monoxide: carbon monoxide interferes with the blood’s ability to transport and carry oxygen in the body. This all adversely impacts the growth cycle of the to be born child.
Nicotine: nicotine again interferes with the oxygen carrying capacity and thus leads to retarded growth. One study has come up with findings that breast milk if contain nicotine could cause sleep deprivation in the child.
The disastrous effects of smoking consumed while pregnancy
- Low birth weight: babies who are born with low weight are reported to suffer from chronic disabilities, health issues and in some horrible cases even death of the child.
- Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS): the babies born to smoker mothers are exposed two to three times more to the risk of SIDS.
- Complications during pregnancy: there could be complications like placental previa, placental abruption both of which is considered to be really serious. These complications might also result in the death of mother as well as the infant.
- Birth defect: the babies of smoker mothers are more likely to develop congenital heart defects and also suffer from various other cardiovascular heart issues.
- Childhood cancer: such babies are exposed to all forms of cancer like Lymphoma, leukaemia etc.
- Developmental disorders: ADHD occurrence has the highest probability to be developed ion children born to smoker mothers. Then there could be a percentage of kids who might show up issues like behavioural and cognitive problems
Even second hand smoke is not considered good for the pregnant mother. If you are pregnant and do not smoke but around smokers chances are that you might have a child birth with less body weight.
Mothers should make a promise to their to be born child that she would look after her in the best possible manner and gift her healthy and disease free life.