Secrets to Staying Fit for Women over 40
Family history and genetics are two vital factors that make women prone to certain medical problems that they cannot control. Nevertheless, there are some other important factors that may contribute to some disorders that we can control are controllable and in our hands.
For a woman, staying healthy after 40 is possible only if she takes the vital steps by following a healthy and active lifestyle as well as by keeping a tab on what she eats.
- Make sure to go for blood pressure checkups regularly. Keeping a tab on your blood pressure on a regular basis will help to find out any underlying medical condition. You may even get a home kit for checking your blood pressure at home. Hypertension and increased blood pressure are two common conditions in women above 40 particularly in obese women. Thus, controlling as well as maintaining your blood pressure is imperative.
- Undergo a test for potential PAD or peripheral arterial disease. A medical condition might impair the blood circulation to your legs. Doctors usually recommend the test for women above 40 with certain risk factors or aspects such as high levels of cholesterols, diabetes, hypertension, smoking or those having some family history of heart problems.
- Go for a bone density examination to diagnose the presence of osteoporosis. It is advisable for all the women over 60 as well as for young women who have entered the premenopausal stage. Women are more likely to suffer from osteoporosis compared to men and thus, there is need for early diagnosis to deal with the condition efficiently. Loss of the vital hormone i.e. estrogen makes a woman more prone to osteoporosis.
- Further, having a cholesterol profile checkup is necessary to assess the cholesterol and triglyceride levels in your body. This might include the readings of C reactive protein. This is a latest measure to assess the heart risk. In addition, women without any heart disorder need to do the test in every five years. Further, coronary heart disorder is a major concern for all the women over 40 and thus, eating the right food and curbing the intake of cholesterols combined with regular exercising will help to reduce the risks.
- Another important test is mammogram for women above 40. It is an X-ray of breast tissues to find out about potential breast cancer signs.
- Get an annual Pap examination to help the doctor to assess the cells for finding any signs of the dangerous cervical cancer as well as other precancerous signs. A woman should undergo her initial Pap test in three years after commencing with the sexual activity or after she reaches 21.
- Lastly, go for a TSH test for screening hypothyroidism or decreased levels of the thyroid stimulating chemicals in your blood. This is because thyroid hormones tend to affect the body weight, metabolism, appetite, and energy and body temperature. In fact, around 10% of the entire women tend to suffer from underactive thyroid.
Take care of your body right from the start to enjoy a healthy and active life after 40, which is free from any disorder or disease.